Purpose: To provide educational scholarships to individual Illinois AAHAM members and their children or grandchildren.
Eligibility: Any person who has been an Illinois AAHAM member for at least one year and has paid their current dues by March 31st of the year in which application is made. If a member’s child or grandchild is applying, the above eligibility criteria apply to the parent or grandparent.
Application: Formal application to the Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Chair by June 30th. Paula Short, Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Chair: 216 Rebecca Ln., Normal, IL 61761 or email@example.com. Please follow up to confirm receipt.
Selection: Applications that meet the established criteria will be considered by the current Illinois AAHAM Board of Director’s scholarship committee. The scholarship committee will review the applicants and make a recommendation to the current Illinois AAHAM Board President and Chairman. The President and Board Chairman will have final approval of all scholarship selections. Should a current scholarship committee member, child or grandchild of a current scholarship committee member apply for a scholarship, then the scholarship committee member shall remove themselves from the selection process.
Awards: Scholarships will be awarded (as funds permit) in August as follows: (One year awards)
The Board of Directors will allocate a maximum of $3,000 to be awarded based on eligibility and qualifications. Scholarship(s) will be awarded with a minimum of $250 and not to exceed $3,000 at the discretion of the Scholarship committee.
Illinois AAHAM SCHOLARSHIP AWARD Protocol:
5. Selection Criteria
6. Application Forms
7. Transmittal, Confirmation, and Award Letters
It has always been the intent and desire of Illinois AAHAM to promote the advancement of the patient account management profession and the individual growth of its members through ongoing education programs.
Over the years, Illinois AAHAM has been very proud of the refinement of and general acceptance by the health care industry of the National AAHAM Certification Program. Considering this evidence, coupled with the development of an Illinois AAHAM education fund made available via contributions from individual members, the pursuit of Illinois AAHAM’s sponsored educational sessions and at the request of the Illinois AAHAM Board of Directors, it seems only fitting that we take the next step as many organizations have done and establish the Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Fund.
At the January 2007 Board meeting it was the unanimous vote of the Board to adopt the concept of an Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Fund and to charge the Scholarship committee with the responsibility to develop detailed information for implementation of such a program.
The information presented here serves as the protocol for the Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Fund. It will be refined on an ongoing basis, as needed, to maintain and enhance the quality and effectiveness of the program.
The Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Program provides for two classifications of awards. The primary emphasis is towards a member who makes application and qualifies. Consideration would be given to an application submitted by a child or grandchild of a member. The classification of award is as follows:
1. Applicant must have been a member of National AAHAM and of Illinois AAHAM or a child or grandchild of a National AAHAM and Illinois AAHAM member for at least one year and be a current member as of March 31st of the application year.
2. Maximum amount of award is $3,000.00 which shall be less than or equal to the cost of tuition and related expenses.
Initial Funding of the Trust: In January 2007, the Illinois AAHAM Board of Directors earmarked $2,200.00 for the Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Fund. The fund was established and earmarked as The Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Fund. The fund will be maintained at the bank currently used by Illinois AAHAM.
Current and Future Funding: For every IL AAHAM member dues ($30.00) paid annually, IL AAHAM will apply $15.00 toward the scholarship fund. The amount of the member dues is set by the Board of Directors and any adjustments could change the amount of the scholarship funding. This amount shall be reviewed any time the Board makes a change in the amount of local member dues or as needed.
Application requirements and procedure:
Member Application: The applicant completing the Illinois AAHAM member scholarship application must be a current (paid) Illinois AAHAM and National AAHAM member on June 30th of the year in which application for scholarship is made.
1. The applicant must be an Illinois AAHAM and National AAHAM (paid) member for at least one year prior to the application deadline of June 30th.
2. A completed and typed application form, including all attachments specified in the application, must be submitted to Illinois AAHAM’s Scholarship Chair by June 30th. Applications, which are postmarked no later than June 30th, shall be accepted for consideration.
3. The applicant must also submit, by June 30th, a written statement (no more than one page) giving evidence of financial need, including a list of all other sources of financial aid such as scholarships, and a letter of acceptance from the educational institution or a statement from the registrar indicating enrollment.
Child / Grandchild of Member applicant:
1. Applicant’s parent or grandparent (AAHAM member) must fulfill the requirements,
specified in sections 1, 2, and 3 above.
2. A completed application form must be submitted as specified in section 3 above.
3. The applicant must also submit, by June 30th the following:
- a. A written statement (no more than one page) giving evidence of financial need, including a list of other sources of financial aid such as scholarships
- b. A letter of acceptance from the educational institution or a statement from the registrar indicating enrollment;
- c. An official transcript of grades and credits earned.
1. Preference will be given to applicants enrolled in studies leading to a certificate or
degree in health care or an associated field.
2. Selection will also be based on a review of the application and supporting documents,
and the evidence of financial need.
3. No preference should be accorded an applicant by reason of the applicant’s
employment position, job title or length of employment.
- a. Applications will be screened by AAHAM’s Scholarship Chair. Those applications, which meet the requirements specified in section 1, will be forwarded to the review and selection committee by June 30th.
- b. The review and selection committee will review the accepted applications and select the award recipients. This selection shall take place on or about July 15th.
- c. Award recipients will be notified on or about August 1st.
Reminder, please submit all required documentation (written statement for financial need, letter of acceptance, official transcript of grades) to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30th.