Purpose: To provide educational scholarships to individual Illinois AAHAM members and their
children or grandchildren.
Eligibility: Any person who has been an Illinois AAHAM member for at least one year and has
paid their current dues by March 31st of the year in which application is made. If a member’s
child or grandchild is applying, the above eligibility criteria apply to the parent or grandparent.
Application: Formal application to the Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Chair by May 31st. Sarah O’Neal, Scholarship Chair PO Box 160 Carthage, IL 62321 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please follow up to confirm receipt.
Selection: Applications that meet the established criteria will be considered by the current
Illinois AAHAM Board of Director’s scholarship committee. The scholarship committee will
review the applicants and make a recommendation to the current Illinois AAHAM Board
President and Chairman. The President and Board Chairman will have final approval of all
scholarship selections. Should a current scholarship committee member, child or grandchild of
a current scholarship committee member apply for a scholarship, then the scholarship
committee member shall remove themselves from the selection process.
Awards: Scholarships will be awarded (as funds permit) in August as follows: (One year awards)
The Board of Directors will allocate a maximum of $2,000 to be awarded based on eligibility and qualifications. Scholarship(s) will be awarded with a minimum of $250 and not to exceed $2,000 at the discretion of the Scholarship committee.
Illinois AAHAM SCHOLARSHIP AWARD Protocol:
5. Selection Criteria
6. Application Forms
7. Transmittal, Confirmation, and Award Letters
It has always been the intent and desire of Illinois AAHAM to promote the advancement of the
patient account management profession and the individual growth of its members through
ongoing education programs.
Over the years, Illinois AAHAM has been very proud of the refinement of and general
acceptance by the health care industry of the National AAHAM Certification Program.
Considering this evidence, coupled with the development of an Illinois AAHAM education fund
made available via contributions from individual members, the pursuit of Illinois AAHAM’s
sponsored educational sessions and at the request of the Illinois AAHAM Board of Directors, it
seems only fitting that we take the next step as many organizations have done and establish
the Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Fund.
At the January 2007 Board meeting it was the unanimous vote of the Board to adopt the
concept of an Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Fund and to charge the Scholarship committee with
the responsibility to develop detailed information for implementation of such a program.
The information presented here serves as the protocol for the Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Fund.
It will be refined on an ongoing basis, as needed, to maintain and enhance the quality and
effectiveness of the program.
The Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Program provides for two classifications of awards. The primary
emphasis is towards a member who makes application and qualifies. Consideration would be
given to an application submitted by a child or grandchild of a member. The classification of
award is as follows:
1. Applicant must have been a member of National AAHAM and of Illinois AAHAM or a child or grandchild of a National AAHAM and Illinois AAHAM member for at least one year and be a current member as of March 31st of the application year.
2. Maximum amount of award is $2,000.00 which shall be less than or equal to the cost of tuition and related expenses.
Initial Funding of the Trust: In January 2007, the Illinois AAHAM Board of Directors earmarked
$2,200.00 for the Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Fund. The fund was established and earmarked as
The Illinois AAHAM Scholarship Fund. The fund will be maintained at the bank currently used by
Current and Future Funding: For every IL AAHAM member dues ($30.00) paid annually, IL
AAHAM will apply $15.00 toward the scholarship fund. The amount of the member dues is set
by the Board of Directors and any adjustments could change the amount of the scholarship
funding. This amount shall be reviewed any time the Board makes a change in the amount of
local member dues or as needed.
Application requirements and procedure:
Member Application: The applicant completing the Illinois AAHAM member scholarship application must be a current (paid) Illinois AAHAM and National AAHAM member or a child or grandchild of a current (paid) Illinois AAHAM and National AAHAM member on March 31st of the year in which application for scholarship is made.
1. The applicant must be an Illinois AAHAM and National AAHAM (paid) member or a child or grandchild of an Illinois AAHAM and National AAHAM (paid) member for at least one year prior to the application deadline of May 31st.
2. A completed and typed application form, including all attachments specified in the application, must be submitted to Illinois AAHAM’s Scholarship Chair by May 31st. Applications, which are postmarked no later than May 31st, shall be accepted for consideration.
3. The applicant must also submit, by May 31st, a written statement (no more than one page) giving evidence of financial need, including a list of all other sources of financial aid such as scholarships, and a letter of acceptance from the educational institution or a statement from the registrar indicating enrollment.
must also submit, by May 31st, a written statement (no more than one
page) giving evidence of financial need, including a list of all other sources of financial
aid such as scholarships, and a letter of acceptance from the educational institution or a
statement from the registrar indicating enrollment.
Child / Grandchild of Member applicant:
1. Applicant’s parent or grandparent (AAHAM member) must fulfill the requirements,
specified in sections 1, 2, and 3 above.
2. A completed application form must be submitted as specified in section 3 above.
3. The applicant must also submit, by May 31st the following:
- a. A written statement (no more than one page) giving evidence of financial need, including a list of other sources of financial aid such as scholarships
b. A letter of acceptance from the educational institution or a statement from the registrar indicating enrollment;
c. An official transcript of grades and credits earned.
1. Preference will be given to applicants enrolled in studies leading to a certificate or
degree in health care or an associated field.
2. Selection will also be based on a review of the application and supporting documents,
and the evidence of financial need.
3. No preference should be accorded an applicant by reason of the applicant’s
employment position, job title or length of employment.
- a. Applications will be screened by AAHAM’s Scholarship Chair. Those applications, which meet the requirements specified in section 1, will be forwarded to the review and selection committee by June 30th.
b. The review and selection committee will review the accepted applications and select the award recipients. This selection shall take place on or about July 31st.
c. Award recipients will be notified on or about August 15th.